Step 1: Make sure Quicktime 7.6 is installed
- Download the QuickTime for Windows Version 7.6 installer here. The latest install of Quicktime does not work with Variations.
- Run the Quicktime 7 Installation.
- Restart your computer.
Step 2: Install Variations
- Use Firefox or Chrome to download the Variations client from IUWare. DO NOT USE MICROSOFT EDGE.
- When the file finishes downloading, open it to begin the installation.
- If you see a box that says "Windows protected your PC", click the More Info link and select Run Anyway.
- Click through the installer, reading any notices before agreeing to them.
- When you are finished installing, close all your browser windows. Then restart your browser and come back to this page to go to the next step. If you don't close all your browser windows, the next step may not work because your browser won't know what to do with Variations links.
- Click the following link to make sure the application has installed properly: tester. If Variations is properly installed, the Variations application should start. You will be prompted to login. Use your IU Network ID and passphrase, and then Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 should begin playing.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Users: A popup window will appear when you first try to listen to Variations audio. Select "Unblock" in order to hear audio.
Note: The QuickTime configuration window may appear the first time you try to access an audio stream, either using QuickTime itself, or Variations.
If Variations does not start when you click on the tester link above, try starting Variations directly using the Start menu. If Variations still doesn't start, and if you're confident you have QuickTime installed properly, try restarting Windows.
Step 3: Configure QuickTime
Note: This step is only necessary if you are having trouble playing the audio, or if audio is consistently low-quality despite your having a fast internet connection.
- After the installation is done, open the QuickTime Player by clicking Start > Control Panel > QuickTime.
- Next select Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences
- In the Preferences menu select the Steaming tab
- Ensure that the streaming speed matches your Internet connection speed. (Figure 1) .
- Close the QuickTime preferences window.
- If you experience other problems when you try to run Variations, check the following link for possible solutions: Known Problems.
- If the Known Problems link still does not solve your problem, contact support for assistance.
We strongly recommend that you install the font Arial Unicode MS in order to be able to view all international and special characters in the application. This font can be installed as part of the "international features" option in Microsoft Office 2000 or XP. You can easily check to see whether this font is already installed by opening Microsoft Word and looking at the list of fonts. For more information on installing this font, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q287247.
Figure 1. Set streaming speed to match your internet connection.